Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fair Oaks, CA

Hello everyone. Greetings from Fair Oaks, California. The best thing about Fair Oaks as far as I can tell is that dozens of roosters and chickens wander around downtown. Cars stop for them as they use the crosswalks. I have no idea where they come from or why they're there (this is not at all a farm town, it's just a suburb of Sacramento). But they are everywhere, and they sleep in the trees. I love them. I want to know everything about them. I'll keep you informed.

Shotgun training has proved to be a more stressful situation than I anticipated. I still have no idea what I'm doing. My new companion is Sister Langirik and she's from the Marshall Islands (itty bitty Pacific islands out by Australia). Her English is not great yet and so there's definitely a language barrier between us, but she's sweet and generous and she's been very patient with me. Even when I have no idea what a certain rule is because I'm still pretty new myself, or I can't keep our investigators, recent converts, or less actives from each ward straight, or I'm yelling at the GPS because I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IT WANTS FROM ME, she just laughs and lets me figure it out. She is completely stress free and just rolls with it, which makes her a nice counter part in this companionship.

Hope all of you are well and alive and having a great summer. Happy August!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha I'm so glad you find fair oaks a fun place! I can certainly help you know a little but more on the subject of free-range chickens. Locals who buy chicks fom catalogs in the mail raise them for their eggs. There are always the occasional unwanted roosters masquerading as hens in every order of chicks that arrive, and fair oaks somehow became the right place to "relocate" them. I confess to being one of those locals to introduce Frenchie, Rosco, Edward, and Favio to the wonders of your current Sacramento suburb haha. I'm sure theyre living the good life! ;)