Friday, March 12, 2010

now you're all gone, got your makeup on and you're not comin back.

I rediscovered this album, and I am telling you what: it is not get over-able.


This album is full of reminiscent appeal for me. As a senior in high school, I sat in a parking lot at sunset and listened to "Anthems For a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl" on repeat literally for an hour when I was intensely alone and feeling like I had outgrown my background. "Almost Crimes" reminds me of early summer ('04? '05?)--laying on my bed, listening to this song, and feeling extremely hopeful. And "Lover's Spit" has never failed to break my heart upon each new listen.
I have a love/hate relationship with albums like these--who doesn't? There are a few that are so evocative for me, all I have to do is think of the album title and I get sucker punched right in the gut. Nostalgia does funny things to me; for instance, if I taste or even smell citrus-flavored gum, I am eighteen and walking in a park at 6 o'clock in the morning with this guy I dated briefly but who meant a lot to me. I've become exponentially better in the last year or so at not dwelling on the past, but give me an album like "You Forgot It in People" and I'm at senior prom, on the lake, in the dorms--anywhere but here...at least for an hour or two.

1 comment:

Bad Grammar - Good Design said...

Guess who just found your blog...ME!!