Monday, April 19, 2010

and turn the white snow red as strawberries in the summertime

I'm emotional. As in, I cry a lot: when people do nice things for each other, when babies are sad and don't seem to know why, when one of those commercials about starving children in Africa comes on the TV. It's because of this last situation that I have been scammed into giving fake charities portions of my meager funds. More than once. Because I'm an idiot. BUT. Not in vain. I've found a few charities that are actually legit and I thought I'd put in a good word. Feel free to share any that you've found.

The first is Plan USA.This is a Better Business Bureau accredited charity, and they've been around since the 1930's. They don't send out emails more than once or twice a month, and you can donate however much you want and even choose where your money goes.

The other one I like is the Tipping Bucket. I heard about this one at BYU's annual Hunger Banquet. It's kind of a cool idea: they have these projects they propose that cost a certain amount of money, and you can donate as little as a $1 to the project. If they don't raise enough money by the deadline (usually a week or so), you get your money back and they propose a new project.


We are so blessed to live where we live, and I think it's wonderful that these people have made it so easy for us to give back and spread the wealth a little to help our brothers and sisters in need.

2 comments:

amylynne said...

How about the LDS Humanitarian Fund? You don't have to worry about getting scammed there... You can donate to that on a tithing slip, or also you can donate online on the church website. That's what we do.

Also, I cry when babies are sad and they don't know why, too. Especially if it's because they're hungry. :(

Unknown said...

I agree with all that's been said. Sara, you have always had a generoous heart. I love that about you.