Monday, April 26, 2010

Alabama, Arkansas, I do love my ma and pa

I went on a little adventure this weekend with Ian. We explored part of Antelope Island, which is in the middle of the Great Salt Lake and is a cool place. There are some great views, and the best part is you can get pretty up close and personal with the wildlife. Ian mostly just went to do something nice for me, and I took advantage of that by declaring that we would not leave until I saw a buffalo. But we actually saw three from the car within ten minutes of being there. So then I decided that we wouldn't leave until I saw a buffalo up close. We ended up having to bushwhack a little in order to make that dream come true, which turned out to be a bad idea on my part because we got attacked by the world's population of gnats, which took up residence in our mouths, ears, brains, and inside of our eyeballs. And I didn't even get to get THAT close to the buffaloes because they were camped out doing whatever it is that buffaloes do in some pretty marshy land. But I got close enough to take a few (mostly indistinguishable) pictures of my bison friends, so I was satisfied. Here they are.

The mountains from Antelope Island.
The bison in question.
My ponytail made a comfortable home for many gnat families.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Jesse and I went to Antelope Island last year. We were driving down the road and then I saw something in the middle of it so I slowed down....it ended up being a HUGE disgusting pile of buffalo poop. I swerved around it and then to the right just ten feet off the road was the buffalo that made it. It was awesome, we got out of the car and literally got as close as 5 feet from it. Jesse wanted to go closer but I was afraid it would charge at him. Then we went to this shack on a hill and ate real buffalo burgers. I thought it was a WILDLIFE PRESERVE but apparently not.......

Sara said...

Hahahaha. Ian and I tried to find the little bistro but I think it was closed. And I told him that I wanted to have a buffalo burger! I was kidding, but I probably would have. I LOVE exotic burgers.

amylynne said...

The gnats in your hair might possibly be the most digusting thing I have seen all day, and if you knew what my day has entailed, you'd understand that it is truly saying something about my feelings about gnats.

Unknown said...

You are very eco-friendly, Sara. I am not surprised that gnats would try to colonize in your ponytail.